Monday, November 26, 2007

Dreary and Rainy


The title for today doesn't describe my feelings and I'm glad it doesn't. It's rainy and dreary outside, though. For those of you who wonder what I looked like as a baby... the picture at left is of me, with my brother behind me. It was sent from the folks who raised me and my friend just came across it again. My dots have become more pronounced, haven't they? I also think my ears have become less noticeably white.

BUNNY FACT: The phenol in soft wood-chip litters can cause damage to the lungs of rabbits. Hard woods contain less phenol, but still wouldn't be a 'number 1" choice.

Someone recently asked me what I do use. Recycled paper litter is my favorite. It's safe, but somewhat expensive. We normally line the bottom of the litter pan with kitty litter. The phenol in wood chips is inhaled by the bunny, whereas kitty litter could only be detrimental to a bunny if he ate it. I've never eaten kitty litter, so I don't have a problem with it.

Some people use hay or straw as bedding/litter. My friend never used hay as a litter, because she wanted me to eat only clean hay. Young rabbits are more susceptible to diarrhea and things of that nature that could be caused by eating & going to the bathroom with the same stuff.

BUNNY FACT: Maturing is part of life. Remember to think of someone's age and maturity level before dishing out punishments or even just criticizing them.

Eat some clean hay for me - My bunny friends, that is!
If you're a human, you don't have to eat any hay for me :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I don't think many people know how harmful cedar shavings can be to bunnies. I didn't know until I started doing research before getting Molly. I always love your blog updates. They are full of great info!